Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010












Week three we did three 2-3 hour drawings of the skull. The first is a three-quarter front view, the second a profile view, and the third a three-quarter back view. Doing value was optional for these drawings, and I chose to add that in there on all three. I really struggled with a couple of things. Firstly, it is extremely hard for me to the skulls appear 3-D. It is really difficult for me to create lines that don't naturally exist on the skull to make it appear to look 3-D. I think that my back view ended up being the most 3-D drawing, due to the contour lines that I added on the cranium. So something I am going to continue to work on is adding in those contour lines that really help define the space.
The second thing that I struggled with in these drawings was creating the value not as it appears in real life, but to shape the value so the skull appears more 3-D. I struggle with this A TON! I am a painter, and usually my main goal in my paintings is to capture the light as it hits my subject. To simply disregard this is definitely going to take a lot of time and practice for me to grasp this new concept.

1 comment:

Xai With Glasses said...

I like how you are using vertical and horizontal lines to help you while you draw the skull. I still see many who does not like using the line or box idea to draw shapes. I can see the lines are really helping you place your lines correctly into proportion while drawing the skull. Don't give up and keep up the good works!