Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

maniken





Here are some photos of my maniken so far. The maniken has been a big struggle for me personally. The drawing I can learn and accomplish for the most part, but the modeling of the clay muscles has been a huge challenge. It is hard enough for me to model anything out of clay, but then for the objects I have to model are muscles of the human body, something that I have never had to look at this closely before makes it even more difficult. I still can't say that I enjoy doing the clay work, but I have learned a lot from doing it. It still baffles me how many muscles we have in our legs, and how perfectly intertwined they are. I specifically like the look of the adductor maagnus muscles, and how they give a great wrapping around effect. Looking further ahead, I need to work on making my muscles look smoother and more connected.

One of the most difficult aspects of the clay modeling for me is to figure out the different masses of each muscle. When I was creating my neck muscles, I made them too bulky, and the different thicknesses to each leg and thigh muscles seem to vary quite a bit, and it is hard decipher that at times.

1 comment:

Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

steph,
the adductors look very good--except the gracilis needs to be a little bit behind/to the side of the vastus medialis. it looks like you're missing the sartorius (the muscle that fits in the groove between the quads and adductors. and i can't quite tell what's happening with the muscle that's coming from the lateral hip/thigh (is this the IT band?) and the smaller piece of clay crossing it and coming across the anterior knee. these don't belong here--let me check your maniken in person and we can figure it out.

they could be part of the hamstrings, since most of these are missing and the one that's there needs to attach to the ischium (you'll have to lift up the glutes to attach it).

you need to add the leg muscles and the shoulder girdle muscles as soon as possible since we will be moving onto the arm and forearm muscles as soon as we get back into class.