Pages

Monday, November 10, 2008

gesture drawings

Image One




Image Two






























Image Three





Image Four

Image Five

Image Six

The images four through six are from the beginning of the semester, while the first three are taken from around the halfway point of the semester. In the beginning, I had a lot of trouble with getting the whole figure to fit on the page. As you can see, I didn't even give my figures a head or feet in the beginning, which obviously is not proper completion. I also concentrated on creating the outline of the figure above all else, which was my hardest habit to try and fix this semester. As the semester progressed, I learned to draw the long axis lines, as you can see in images one through three, and also comfortably drew in some contour lines throughout the figures. Line weight was also a big thing I knew I had to work on. Images four through six all have one common weight, showing no variety. If you look at image two, there is an obvious line weight variety, which really gives the figure depth and more interesting to look at. It has been very difficult for me to try and think outside of outlines, but I am slowly getting the hang of it. If anything, I have definitely learned to comfortable draw the figure very quickly and have it show enough detail and depict the important information.

1 comment:

Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

These gestures still rely too much on outline. For each form, you want only one long axis and a few cross contours. You want to get away from outline--parts of a cross contour may end up making part of an outline for a short passage, but you don't want the feeling that you are enclosing a form with two edges. Also, in the gesture drawing time we have left, make sure you include the rib cage and pelvis. This will give you something to focus on that will get you inside the outlines.