Pages

Monday, November 10, 2008

long poses





These are my three favorite long poses that I have drawn. The image focused on the back really puts together how we learned to draw the figure, and the skeleton, and then combining the two. The ribcage and spinal column are very prominent in this picture. The line weights in all three is probably my favorite element in each. The shading and use of hard and light pressure with the charcoal really give the figures life and depth. I liked drawing the longer poses better than the short one minute sketches. Doing the long drawings gives me the opportunity to really learn the body, and become more and more familiar with each curve and line. The picture where the body is lying stretched out really puts the emphasis on the elogation of the body. the way the muscles are drawn gives the effect that the body is being stretched, which is main emphasis of the pose.

I felt it was important to include a photo of one of my skeleton drawings, because we have focused a lot on that type of drawing as well as drawing the figure. In this drawing I specifically like the harsh lines of the ribcage juxtaposed against the softness of the hip bones. I was exploring the different ways of executing the surfaces of bone in different ways.

1 comment:

Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

Steph,
I think you are right when you say the long drawings are your strongest work. It seems with these you are able to slow down, concentrate, and observe the form carefully. Take advantage of this strength in the last few weeks of class; we will be doing more of these long drawings.